Small-Diameter Implants for Implant Supported Overdentures
Kelly Misch, DDS
Implant-supported overdentures have gained significant acceptance by clinicians and patients, and are gradually becoming the standard of care for treatment of complete edentulism. Various protocols for prosthetic fabrication and implant placement have been suggested and, at least for mandibular rehabilitation, the most commonly used protocol relies on placement of two implants in the anterior/canine area. While this protocol may provide appropriate overdenture stabilization for many cases, others may not be successfully treated with only two implants, and additional implants may be required for patient satisfaction. Anatomical factors, however, may limit the clinician's ability to place additional implants. Furthermore, financial restrictions may limit the patient's ability to have additional implants placed. This podcast presents an alternative approach aimed to improve stabilization of existing implant-supported overdentures that may overcome these limitations.
Periodontics Resident, Department of Periodontics & Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, .
Upon completing this podcast, the listener should:
- Understand the advantages and limitations surrounding implant-supported overdentures
- See how utilizing small-diameter implants allows clinicians to overcome these limitations
- Attard NJ, Laporte A, Locker D, Zarb GA. A prospective study on immediate loading of implants with mandibular overdentures: Patient-mediated and economic outcomes. Int J Prosthodont 2006;19(1):67-73.
- Allen PF, Thomason JM, Jepson NJ,
et al. A randomized controlled trial of implant-retained mandibular overdentures. J Dent Res 2006;85(6):547-551.
- Ceruti P, Menicucci G, Schierano G, et al. Mandibular implant-retained overdentures with 2 different prosthetic designs: A retrospective pilot study on maintenance interventions. Int J Prosthodont 2006;19(6):557-559.
- Zitzmann NU, Marinello CP, Sendi P. A cost-effectiveness analysis of implant overdentures. J Dent Res 2006;85(8):717-721.
- Visser A, Meijer HJ, Raghoebar GM, Vissink A. Implant-retained mandibular overdentures versus conventional dentures: 10 years of care and aftercare. Int J Prosthodont 2006;19(3):271-278.
- van der Bilt A, van Kampen FM, Cune MS. Masticatory function with mandibular implant-supported overdentures fitted with different attachment types. Eur J Oral Sci 2006;114(3):191-196.
- Turkyilmaz I, Tözüm TF, Tumer C, Ozbek EN. A 2-year clinical report of patients treated with two loading protocols for mandibular overdentures: Early versus conventional loading. J Periodontol 2006;77(12):1998-2004.
- Trakas T, Michalakis K, Kang K, Hirayama H. Attachment systems for implant retained overdentures: A literature review. Implant Dent 2006;15(1):24-34.
- Neiva RF, Gapski R, Wang HL. Morphometric analysis of implant-related anatomy in Caucasian skulls. J Periodontol 2004;75(8):1061-1067.
- Albrektsson T, Brånemark PI, Jacobsson M, Tjellström A. Present clinical applications of osseointegrated percutaneous implants. Plast Reconstr Surg 1987;79(5):721-731.
- Albrektsson T, Dahl E, Enbom L, et al. Osseointegrated oral implants. A Swedish multicenter study of 8139 consecutively inserted Nobelpharma implants. J Periodontol 1988;59(5):287-296.
- Fontijn-Tekamp FA, Slagter AP, van't Hof MA, et al. Bite forces with mandibular implant-retained overdentures. J Dent Res 1998;77(10):1832-1839.
- Geertman ME, Boerrigter EM, Van Waas MA, van Oort RP. Clinical aspects of a multicenter clinical trial of implant-retained mandibular overdentures in patients with severely resorbed mandibles. J Prosthet Dent 1996;75(2):194-204.
- Geertman ME, Boerrigter EM, Van't Hof MA, et al. Two-center clinical trial of implant-retained mandibular overdentures versus complete dentures-chewing ability. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1996;24(1):79-84.
- Feine JS, Carlsson GE, Awad MA, et al. The McGill consensus statement on overdentures. Mandibular two-implant overdentures as first choice standard of care for edentulous patients. Montreal, Quebec, May 24-25, 2002. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2002;17(4):601-602.
- Feine JS, Carlsson GE, Awad MA, et al. The McGill Consensus Statement on Overdentures. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. May 24-25, 2002. Int J Prosthodont 2002;15(4):413-414.
van Kampen FM, van der Bilt A, Cune MS, et al. Masticatory function with implant-supported overdentures. J Dent Res 2004;83(9):708-711.
- Fontijn-Tekamp FA, Slagter AP, van 't Hof MA, et al. Pain and instability during biting with mandibular implant-retained overdentures. Clin Oral Implants Res 2001;12(1):46-51.
- Takanashi Y, Penrod JR, Chehade A, et al. Surgical placement of two implants in the anterior edentulous mandible. ow much time does it take? Clin Oral Implants Res 2003;14(2):188-192.
- Celebić A, Knezović-Zlatarić D, Papić M, et al. Factors related to patient satisfaction with complete denture therapy. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2003;58(10):M948-953.