Nonsurgical Endodontic Retreatment Utilizing Contemporary Technologies
Dr. Fatima Barnes • Dr. Robert Block • Dr. Kirk McDonald
The purpose of this video is to review factors that contribute to endodontic failures and understand the techniques utilized in contemporary nonsurgical endodontic retreatment to manage them. Contemporary endodontic techniques taught in the undergraduate curriculum were utilized in treatment. After watching the video, the dental student should be able to master the learning objectives relating to the ten steps of endodontic retreatment.
- Understand the etiologies of endodontic failure
- Understand the contemporary instrumentation necessary to perform nonsurgical endodontic retreatment
- Understand the use of hand file instrumentation in establishing working length, apical stop, canal patency, and glide plane preparation
- Understand the instrumentation and protocol used in pathfinder files and for single–file technique of reciprocal instrumentation
- Understand the use and protocol of the oscillating agitator irrigation system.
- Understand the sequence of treatment with the single- file technique in drying and obturation of the canals
Lewis RD, Block RM. Management of endodontic failures. Oral Surg
Block R, Lewis RD. Management of endodontic
treatment failures. Australian Dental J. 2010.
Salehrabi R, Rotstein I. Epidemiologic evaluation of the outcomes of orthograde endodontic
Paik S, Sechrist C, Torabinejad
M. Levels of evidence for the outcome of endodontic
Farzaneh M, Abitbol S, Friedman S.
Treatment outcome in endodontics: The Toronto Study. Phases I and II:
Orthograde retreatment. J Endod 2004;30(9):627-633.
Endodontics Case Difficulty Assessment and Form
Guidelines. Endodontics Colleagues for Excellence, AAE Spring/Summer, 2005:
The Standard of Practice in Contemporary
Endodontics. Endodontics Colleagues for Excellence, AAE Fall 2014: 1-11.
McDonald K, Block R, Mncube-Barnes
FM. Single-file approach for predictable endodontic canal instrumentation: The
WaveOne technique. THE NEXTDDS Magazine 2014:4(2):15-19.
Yared G. Canal preparation using only one Ni-Ti
rotary instrument: Preliminary observations Int
Endod J. 2008;41.339-344.
CJ. Canal preparation: Single-file shaping technique. Available at http://www.dentistrytoday.com/endodontics/6717-canal-preparation-single-file-shaping-technique.
Accessed February 28, 2015.
Ruddle CJ. Endodontic disinfection: Tsunami irrigation.
Endo Practice 2008; 11:7-15.