Mark Latta, DMD, MS
The ability of dental professionals to bond resin materials to enamel and dentin has changed the concepts of cavity preparation, orthodontic treatment, caries prevention, and cementation of fixed prostheses. Today's restorative treatment options, such as porcelain laminate veneers and direct resin bonding, rely on new adhesive materials and techniques. Improved marginal sealing around bonded restorations has reduced the frequency of unfavorable postoperative responses. This podcast will explain the involved biological structures, the mechanisms by which adhesion is achieved, and highlight the evolution of the adhesive materials utilized in such procedures.
*Associate Dean for Research Professor of General Dentistry, Creighton University School of Dentistry, Omaha Nebraska.
Upon completing this podcast, the listener should:
- Know what self-etch adhesives are, and understand methods involved in using them
- Understand the difference between self-etch and etch-and-rinse adhesives.
- Buonocore MG. A simple method of increasing the adhesion of acrylicfilling materials to enamel surfaces. J Dent Res. 1955:34: 549-53.
- McLean JW. Historical Overview: The pioneers of enamel and dentin bonding. In: Roulet JF, DeGrange M, eds. Adhesion-the silent revolution in dentistry. Carol Stream, IL: Quintessence, 2000; 13-17.
- Kramer IRH, McLean JW. The response of the human pulp to self-polymerising acrylic. Br Dent J 1952; 93:150-153.
- Nakabayashi N, Kojima K, Masuhara E. The promotion of adhesion by the infiltration of monomers into tooth substrates. J Biomed Mater Res 1982; 16: 265-273.
- Kanca J. Improving bond strength through acid etching of dentin and bonding to wet dentin surfaces. J Am Dent Assoc 1992;123(9);183-188.
- Perdigao J,Geradeli S, Hodges JS. Total-etch versus self-etch adhesive: Effect on postoperative sensitivity. J Am Dent Assoc 2003;134(12):1621-1629.
- Van Meerbeek B, De Munch J. Yoshida Y. et al Buonocore Memorial Lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges. Oper Dent 2003;28:215-235.
- Van Meerbeek B, Vargas MA Inoue S, et al. Adhesives and Ccements to promote preservation dentistry. Oper Dent 2001; Suppl 6; 119-143.
- Van Meerbeek B, Inskoshi S, Braem M, et al. Morphological aspects of the resin-dentin interdiffusion zone observed with different adhesive systems. J Dent Res 1992;72(2):1530-1540.
- Perdigao J, Geradeli S. Hodges JS. Total-etch versus sell etch adhesive: Effect on postoperative sensitivity J Am Dent Assoc 2003;134 (12):1621-1629.
- Brackett WW, Ito S, Nishitani Y, et al The microtensile bond strength of self etching adhesives to ground enamel. Oper Dent 2006; 31(3):332-337.
- Kawamoto O, Nagano F, Yasumoto K, Sano H. Microtensile bond strength of one and two-step self-etching adhesives using a novel thermocycling method. Poster Presentation, 3rd IAD 2008 Special Issue: 126, Abstract PO85.
- Shinno K, Ichizawa K, Nakatsuka T, et.al. Bonding ability of resin-bonding systems containing phosphoric acid adhesive monomer. J Dent Res 2008, Abstract 0394.
- Uno S, Morigami M, Sugizaki J, Yamada T. SEM and TEM observation of the bonding interface created with an experimental one-bottle one-step resin bonding agent. J Adhes Dent 2008; 26(1):30-35.