Proper Loading Techniques for the Two-Implant Overdenture
Joseph R. Carpentieri, DDS • Dennis P. Tarnow, DDS
After hearing this podcast, the listener should:
- Understand three distinct techniques for the loading of a mandibular two-implant overdenture
- See the unique advantages and clinical challenges presented by each method
Wherever possible, a one-stage
surgical procedure with an early loading protocol (ie, 6 to 8 weeks) is the
recommended technique for the two-implant overdenture. There may be instances
when conventional loading (ie, 12 weeks) might be appropriate as well. A third
“philosophical” variation on early and conventional loading protocols is
immediate loading, in which final abutments are connected and retentive
elements are activated at the time of implant placement. At present, immediate
loading is not appropriate for the
unsplinted two-implant overdenture design.
- Testori T, Del Fabbro, Feldman S, et al. A multicenter prospective evaluation of 2-months
loaded Osseotite implants placed in the posterior jaws: 3-year follow-ups. Clin
Oral Implants Res 2002;13:154-161.
- Bornstein MM, Lussi A, Schmid B, et al. Early
loading of nonsubmerged titanium implants with a sandblasted and acid-etched (SLA) surface: 3-year results of a prospective study in
partially edentulous patients. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants
- Chiapasco M. Early and immediate restoration
and loading of implants in completely edentulous patients. Int J Oral
Maxillofac Implants 2004;19:76-81.
- Brånemark P-I, Hansson BO, Adell R, et al.
Osseointegrated implants in the treatment of the edentulous jaw. Experience
from a 10-year period. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 1977;16(Suppl):1-132.
- Soballe K. Hydroxyapatite ceramic coating for
bone implant fixation. Mechanical and histological studies in dogs. Acta Orthop
- Vaillancourt H, Pilliar RM, McCammond D.
Finite element analysis of crestal bone loss around porous-coated dental
implants. J Appl Biomater 1995;6(4):267-282.