Management of Recurrent Aphthous Ulcers
Susan L. Zunt, DDS, MS
Upon hearing this podcast, the listener should:
- Understand what aphthous ulcers are, and how they are formed
- Have several methods for treating recurrent and non-recurrent aphthous ulcers in children and adults alike
Recurrent aphthous ulcers (RAU) or recurrent aphthous stomatitis, referred to as canker sores, are among the most common oral mucosal diseases. Recurrent aphthous ulcer disease is characterized by outbreaks with periods of remission that last weeks or years. This chronic, incurable condition can make it uncomfortable to speak, eat, and/or drink. Since some oral healthcare products are catalysts in the development of RAU, and some patients experience difficulty in maintaining oral hygiene, dental professionals play an important role in the oral healthcare of patients with RAU.
- Porter SR, Scully C. Orofacial manifestations in primary immunodeficiencies: Polymorphonuclear leukocyte defects. J Oral Pathol Med 1993;22(7):310-311.
- Brooke RI, Sapp JP. Herpetiform ulceration. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1976;42(2):182-188.
- Natah SS, Häyrinen Immonen R, Hietanen J, et al. Quantitative assessment of mast cells in recurrent aphthous ulcers (RAU). J Oral Pathol Med 1998;27(3):124-129.
- Pederson A, Klausen B, Hougen HP, Ryder LP. Peripheral lymphocyte subpopulations in recurrent aphthous ulceration. Acta Odontol Scand 1991;49:203-206.
- Herlofson BB, Barkvoll P. The effect of two toothpaste detergents on the frequency of recurrent aphthous ulcers. Acta Odontol Scand 1996;54(3):150-153.
- Herlofson BB, Barkvoll P. Sodium lauryl sulfate and recurrent aphthous ulcers. A preliminary study. Acta Odontol Scand 1994;52(5):257-259.
- Skaare AB, Rölla G, Barkvoll P. The influence of triclosan, zinc or propylene glycol on oral mucosa exposed to sodium lauryl sulfate. Eur J Oral Sci 1997;105(5):527-533.
- Skaare AB, Herlofson BB, Barkvoll P. Mouthrinses containing triclosan reduce the incidence of recurrent aphthous ulcers (RAU). J Clin Periodontol 1996;23(8):778-781.
- Olson JA, Feinberg I, Silverman S Jr, et al. Serum vitamin B12, folate, and iron levels in recurrent aphthous ulceration. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1982;54(5):517-520.
- Nolan A, Lamey PJ, Milligan KA, Forsyth A. Recurrent aphthous ulceration and food sensitivity. J Oral Pathol Med 1991;20(10):473-475.
- Hay KD, Reade PC. The use of an elimination diet in the treatment of recurrent aphthous ulceration of the oral cavity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1984;57(5):504-507.
- Miller MF, Ship II. A retrospective study of the prevalence and incidence of recurrent aphthous ulcers in a professional population, 1958-1971. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1977;43(4):532-537.
- Yaacob HB, Ab Hamid J. Use of antidepressants in aphthous ulceration—A clinical experience. Dent J Malay 1985;8(1):33-38.
- Wood TA Jr, De Witt SH, Chu EW, et al. Anitschkow nuclear changes observed in oral smears. Acta Cytol 1975;19(5):434-437.
- Hunter L, Addy M. Chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash in the management of minor aphthous ulceration. A double-blind, placebo-controlled cross-over trial. Br Dent J 1987;162(3):106-110.
- Wright EF. Clinical effectiveness of lysine in treating recurrent aphthous ulcers and herpes labialis. Gen Dent 1994;42(1):40-42.
- Khandwala A, Van Inwegen RG, Alfano MC. 5% Amlexanox oral paste, a new treatment of recurrent minor aphthous ulcers: I. Clinical demonstration of acceleration of healing and resolution of pain. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1997;83(2):222-230.
- Khandwala A, Van Inwegen RG, Charney MR, Alfano MC. 5% amlexanox oral paste, a new treatment for recurrent minor aphthous ulcers: II. Pharmacokinetics and demonstration of clinical safety. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1997;83(2):231-238.
- Binnie WH, Curro FA, Khandwala A, Van Inwegan RG. Amlexanox oral paste: A novel treatment that accelerates the healing of aphthous ulcers. Compend Cont Educ Dent 1997;18(11):1116-1118, 1120-1122, 1124 passim.
- Pimlott SJ, Walker DM. A controlled clinical trial of the efficacy of topical applied fluocinonide gel in the treatment of recurrent aphthous ulceration. Br Dent J 1983;154(6):174-177.
- Hayrinen-Immonen R, Sorsa T, Pettila J, et al. Effect of tetracyclines on collagenase activity in patients with recurrent aphthous ulcers. J Oral Pathol Med 1994;23(6):269-272.
- Chandrasekhar J, Liem AA, Cox NH, Paterson AW. Oxipentiyllin in the management of recurrent aphthous oral ulcers: An open clinical trial. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1999;87(5):546-567.
- Meiller TF, Kutcher MJ, Overholser CD, et al. Effect of an antimicrobial mouthrinse on recurrent aphthous ulcerations. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1991;72(4):425-429.
- Matthews RW, Scully GM, Levers BGH, Hislop WS. Clinical evaluation of benzydamine, chlorhexidine, and placebo mouthwashes in the management of recurrent aphthous stomatitis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1987;63:189-191.