Management of Gingival Symmetry and Health Using the Er,Cr:YSGG Laser
Hugh Flax, DDS
The Er,Cr:YSGG Laser can be used in a variety of purposes and procedures by the clinician. In this podcast, the laser was used in three modes (gingival sculpting, osseous recontouring, and frenectomy). No tissue necrosis or significant bleeding occured as a result of the laser's relatively lower setting of 1.5 watts, 30% air, and 20% water. Flowable composite resin was then placed along the mesiogingival aspects of teeth #8 and #9. Osseous sculpting required great precision in order to maintain a 3-mm dentogingival complex. The frenectomy was cleanly performed at the soft tissue setting (0.25 watts); biostimulation of the outer epithelium helped to decrease the release of histamine and increased fibroblasts for junctional epithelial growth.
*Private practice, Atlanta, GA
Upon completion of this podcast, the listener should:
- Understand how the Er,Cr:YSGG Laser can be used in three distinct processes.
- Understand the benefits of using the laser for these procedures.
- West NX, Hughes JA, Addy M. The effect of pH on the erosion of dentine and enamel by dietary acids in vitro. J Oral Rehab 2001;28(9):860-864.
- Trident Laboratories, Hawthorne, CA.
- Tally RL, Murphy GJ, Smith SD, et al. Standards for the history, examination, diagnosis, and treatment of the temporomandibular disorders (TMD): A position paper. J Craniomand Pract 1990 Jan;8(1):60-77.
- Shankland WE 2nd. Temporomandibular disorders: Standard treatment options Gen Dent 2004 Jul-Aug;52(4):349-355.
- Colonna M. [KB1] Crown and veneer preparations using the Er,Cr:YSGG Waterlase hard and soft tissue layer. Contemp Esthet Restor Pract 2002;10:80-86.
- Rizoiu I, Kohanghadosh F, Kimmel AI, Eversole LR. Pulpal thermal responses to an erbium, chromium:YSGG pulsed laser hydrokinetic system. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1998 Aug;86(2):220-223
- Matsumoto K, Hossain M, Hossain MM, Kawano H, Kimura Y. Clinical assessment of Er,Cr:YSGG laser application for cavity preparation. J Clin Laser Med Surg 2002 Feb;20(1):17-21
- Walsh LJ. Laser Dentistry: Membrane-based photoacoustic and biostimulatory applications in clinical practice. Austral Dent Pract 2006;17(5):62-64
- Rekow, ED, Erdman AG, Riley DR, Klamecki B. CAD/CAM for dental restorations—some of the curious challenges. IEEE trans Biomed Eng 1991 Apr;38(4):314-318.
- Margolis F. The Star Wars of dentistry. Using the erbium laser to treat tooth decay. CDS Rev 2002 Mar-Apr;26-29.