Aesthetic Porcelain Laminate Veneer Restoration Following Orthodontic Treatment
Sequential Technique and Methods
Marina Lampreia, DMD • Javier Perez, CDT
As a result of reviewing this case study, the reader should:
- Be better able to visualize the process of placing porcelain laminate veneers on orthodontically treated teeth
- See the advantages and uses of porcelain laminate veneers in today's dentistry
Contemporary porcelain laminate veneer (PLV) materials have demonstrated enhanced aesthetic and functional potential as compared to traditional all-ceramic modalities. Care is, however, still required during the treatment planning stage to ensure that technique sensitivity does not restrict the extent of aesthetics delivered by these materials. The diagnostic and treatment planning stages must, therefore, be meticulously executed to ensure that the initial stages of treatment are carefully performed. Data transfer between the practitioner and laboratory technician must also be carefully executed in order to prevent the potential need for remakes due to insufficient information. The following case presentation describes the treatment planning sequence and data transfer required for the delivery of four feldspathic PLVs in the anterior region following orthodontic treatment.
An 18-year-old female patient presented immediately following the completion of orthodontic treatment with extreme discoloration, unpleasant maxillary tooth proportions, and excess gingival display. Upon initial review, crown lengthening procedures were suggested to restore the patient to natural function and aesthetics. A step-by-step approach was, therefore, required to facilitate thorough diagnosis, waxup of the final anticipated result, adjunctive periodontal procedures, intraoral mock-up, teeth preparations, provisional restorations and cementation, are illustrated and briefly described.
Have a case study of your own? Submit it to us!
- Freire A, Archegas LR. Porcelain laminate veneer on a highly discoloured tooth: a case report. J Can Dent Assoc. 2010;76:a126.
- Park DJ, Yang JH, Lee JB, Kim SH, Han JS. Esthetic improvement in the patient with one missing maxillary central incisor restored with porcelain laminate veneers. J Adv Prosthodont. 2010 Sep;2(3):77-80. Epub 2010 Sep 30.
- Moon JE, Kim SH, Han JS, Yang JH, Lee JB. Esthetic restorations of maxillary anterior teeth with orthodontic treatment and porcelain laminate veneers: a case report. J Adv Prosthodont. 2010 Jun;2(2):61-3. Epub 2010 Jun 30.
- Rada RE. Controlling reduction in the preparation of porcelain laminate veneers. Gen Dent. 2010 Sep-Oct;58(5):e210-3.
- Hamlett K. The art of veneer cementation. Alpha Omegan. 2009 Dec;102(4):128-32.
- Cötert HS, Dündar M, Oztürk B. The effect of various preparation designs on the survival of porcelain laminate veneers. J Adhes Dent. 2009 Oct;11(5):405-11.
- Chen YW, Raigrodski AJ. A conservative approach for treating young adult patients with porcelain laminate veneers. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2008;20(4):223-36; discussion 237-8.
- Claman L, Alfaro MA, Mercado A. An interdisciplinary approach for improved esthetic results in the anterior maxilla. J Prosthet Dent. 2003 Jan;89(1):1-5.